Wednesday, July 29, 2020

27A- Reading Reflection No.3

For this assignment i chose to read Coco Chanel: An Intimate Life. This biography tells the compelling story of Gabrielle (Coco) Chanel life. I picked this book to read because Chanel is such a prestige brand and i was interested to get to know more intimate aspects of the brand and its creator. 

  • What surprised you the most?
what surprised me the most was Chanel's past. I would have never guessed that the founder of such a known and high valued brand would have such a dark and challenging upbringing. 
  • What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
What i admired the most about Chanel is her persistence and resourcefulness when building her brand and now is an icon in the fashion industry.
  • What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
I least admired the way she viewed relationships, the book described that she had affairs with men who were rich and powerful in order to move up in the industry. 
  • Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
Yes, Chanel went through a lot of failure and hardships. She had to keep persisting and work smartly in order to get achieve her goals. 

2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited? 

She exhibited determination, resourcefulness, and good decision making. 

3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.

What confused me was how secretive Chanel was about her life, she had destroyed a lot of documents which indicated she was hiding some things. 

4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask?

- If you saw how your business is now, what would you change about it? Design wise and company wise. 

-What would you say is the thing that helped you the most in the success of your career?

5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?

I think Chanel's opinion on hard work was positive, she hustled a lot to get to where she got. She did what she saw as necessary in order to be successful. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Isabella, I think you followed the instructions of this post very well and explained how you felt about the book. I think this is an interesting book from what you said about it and it is definitely smart to learn how a business that is so successful started up and how the creator now lives and their day to day life.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isabella, I also read this book and I really enjoyed it. I really liked the questions you would ask Coco Channel, I would definitely like to know what she would think about the company today as it has become such a big company. I also wanted to know why she was so secretive and what the reason was behind destroying all of those documents. Great job and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Isabella,

    I also ready this book! I am super into fashion and loved learning about such a popular fashion designer. I found Chanel's story to be such an interesting and inspiring one. It was crazy to think that she came from a really awful upbringing to becoming one of the most influential designers in the fashion industry. I really like your analysis and the questions you came up with to ask the designer. Great job and thanks for sharing.
    -Morgan Mowery

    ReplyDelete